Has your child or a child you are supporting experienced physical or sexual abuse? Exposed to the foster care system? Suffered through a tragic event? Experienced neglect? Witnessed or experienced violence? Endured extreme bullying? Or been impacted by a high-conflict divorce?
Trauma can significantly impact a child, and those caring for them are often left with questions about how to best help. Children with trauma can present significant challenges, and they often display patterns of behaviour that can strain the relationship between the child and those caring for them.
During this course we will explore the impact of trauma on neurological development and how this presents in children’s behaviours. The impact on the attachment system will also be examined, as will the role of relationship in healing and growth. Strategies to support children following experiences of trauma will be presented, giving attendees concrete ways in which they can support the children in their lives and care for themselves.
This course aims to offer practical information to caregivers and professionals on why certain behaviours may be present, and how they can support their children in moving towards growth and healing.
This evidence-based course is taught by Registered Child Psychologist, Tammy Schamuhn, M.Sc, B.Ed., RPT-S, who specializes in childhood anxiety and trauma (Co-Founder of the Institute of Child Psychology) who is also a former elementary teacher, and mother of three.
- Examine the impact of trauma on neurological development
- Explore the impact of trauma on attachment systems and relational patterns
- Foster a greater understanding of behavioural patterns commonly associated with traumatic experiences.
- Develop tools and strategies to support the children impacted by trauma
- Learn about appropriate treatment options available based on the type of trauma a child has experienced and the timing of the incident
- Highlight the importance of self-care for those who are supporting children that have experiences of trauma
- TOOLBOX: Learn over 30+ strategies to help a child emotionally regulate and ground
- CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION with 6.5 instructional hours endorsed by the Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association.
- RESOURCES: Access to several mental health and parenting resources
- SUPPORT: Access to the instructors who teach each course should any questions arise.
- RISK FREE 30 DAY MONEY BACK GUARANTEE if you are not satisfied with your purchase. Courses will not be refunded if they have been fully completed. (Note: Refunds will not granted in lieu of the purchase of an ICP membership)
- HELP ON DEMAND: Access to the instructor via email at any time.
- SELF PACED STUDY: No timeline for completion of the course.
Did you know you can take ANY of the courses in our comprehensive library for a single, affordable fee? For only $18.99/month you can access *any* of our pre-recorded courses. You can get a 7-Day free trial to check it out.
WHO IS THIS COURSE FOR:
This course is appropriate for parents, educators, child care professionals, caregivers, and mental health professionals.
All courses offered by ICP are for individual use only. Using them for corporate/group training, or shared purposes are a violation of copyright law. Furthermore, all products/services provided by the Institute of Child Pyschology, along with all workshop materials, are strictly for educational purposes only and cannot be categorized as psychological or mental health services.
UNABLE TO AFFORD REGISTRATION?
We offer subsidized tickets to those who have limited income!
Please contact our administration team for further assistance at firstname.lastname@example.org.