Parenting Through Adoptive & Foster Care
Parenting children through foster and adoption is a unique parenting experience that is beautiful, wonderful, tricky, and challenging. The needs of kiddos who come to us this way are different than birth children, and the challenges we face as parents are also different. This course is designed to help you delve into your motivations for fostering and adoption, and how these may affect your parenting styles. We will talk about how fostering and adoption start in trauma and how that will inevitably affect the parenting journey. We will do a deep dive into attachment and how important it is to parent through an attachment lens. And we will talk about practical strategies that can make the road a little bit smoother.
- To understand where the motivation for fostering and adoption comes from and how that may affect our parenting choices.
- To understand that parenting through foster and adoption starts from a place of trauma which will have lifelong impacts on brain development.
- To understand attachment theory as it relates to parenting
- To examine practical strategies for enhanced parenting of kiddos through foster and adoption.
LESSON 1: Exploring our Why & Introduction to Adoptive/Foster Trauma
In this lesson we’ll explore some of the key insights many parents who adopt or foster need to examine, and core issue that most adoptive and foster parents need to reconcile which is the trauma most of these children have faced.
LESSON 2: Attachment Trauma
When a child is taken into care, whether through adoption or foster care, the child must be viewed and understood through the lens of attachment. Many of these children have had their attachments compromised, so it’s imperative we examine how to not only understand their unique attachment trauma, but also ways in which we can help them heal.
LESSON 3: Biological Families & Managing Self-Care
In this lesson we will address how to work with biological families and/or how to talk to children about their biological families. Lastly, we will examine the importance of self-care in managing the emotional complexities of these often-complicated situations so you be and be emotionally available for your child while still managing your stress.
- STRATEGY BASED AND COMPREHENSIVE: facilitated by a mental health professional and experienced foster mom!
- CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION: endorsed by the Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association.
- SELF PACED STUDY: No timeline for completion of the course.
This presentation is appropriate for parents, educators, child care professionals, caregivers, and mental health professionals.
Refunds are NOT permitted for this course. All purchases/courses are FINAL SALE.
All workshops provided by the Institute of Child Psychology, along with all workshop materials, are strictly for educational purposes only and cannot be categorized as psychological or mental health services.
Please contact our administration team if you require further details at email@example.com