**This is a recording of a Live Presentation given at the Institute of Child Psychology’s 2021 Children’s Mental Health Conference.
Peaceful Parent, Happy Siblings: How to stop the fighting & raise friends for life.
Every parent with more than two children is sometimes challenged by sibling competition, squabbling and full-blown fighting. Unfortunately, most parents don’t know how to intervene constructively, so they jump in to solve the problem with blame and punishment, making the sibling rivalry worse. In this Workshop, you’ll learn what the research says about how to intervene in sibling fights to help kids learn to fight in ways that bring them closer, and how to foster communication that avoids fights altogether.
Clients challenged by their children often resort to old-fashioned reward and threat strategies, from yelling to timeouts and other consequences. But the most effective parenting tool is always the relationship with, not control over, the child. By emphasizing parental self-regulation, strengthening the parent’s connection with each child, and welcoming emotions while setting limits, the Peaceful Parenting approach offers hope for frustrated parents who wish their kids could just stop fighting and get along.
- Reduce the parental behaviors that increase Sibling Rivalry
- Empower clients to create a peaceful family culture and help their children forge a close, lifelong sibling bond.
- Teach parents to intervene constructively in sibling conflict.
- Transform clients’ relationships with their children with preventive maintenance rituals, like purposeful roughhousing, special time, and scheduled meltdowns, that help children self-regulate.
- Adapt mindfulness techniques to help parents become more aware of their emotions in the moment so they can intervene more effectively.
CONFERENCE RECORDING HIGHLIGHTS
- CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION with 3.0 instructional hours & successful completion of a short quiz.
- RESOURCES: Access to several mental health and parenting resources.
- LIFETIME ACCESS: No rush to complete; the course will be available to you for as long as the course is hosted on our platform.
WHO IS THIS COURSE FOR:
This presentation is appropriate for parents, educators, child care professionals, caregivers, and mental health professionals.
All courses offered by ICP are for individual use only. Using them for corporate/group training, or shared purposes are a violation of copyright law. Furthermore, all products/services provided by the Institute of Child Psychology, along with all workshop materials, are strictly for educational purposes only and cannot be categorized as psychological or mental health services.