**This is a recording of a Live Presentation given at the Institute of Child Psychology’s 2021 Children’s Mental Health Conference. As it is a Live recording, please note that there may be unscheduled technical difficulties, pauses/breaks, as well as reading of comments which you may not be able to see.
Race-Based Traumatic Stress
This workshop is intended to help parents, educators, and community members better understand how they might address the interplay of race and trauma and its effects on children and adolescents. Dr. Mullan, a Clinical Psychologist, will expand upon Historical Trauma, Intergenerational (biologically transmitted) trauma transmission, and key terms such as racism, microaggressions, white supremacy, and racial trauma. This workshop will outline recommendations and offer supplemental resources. This workshop is intended to help caregivers better have conversations around racialized trauma, how to manage one’s own feelings related to microaggressions and create healthy outlets and spaces for their youth.
- Participants will better understand the impacts of history and systemic racism.
- Participants will better understand intergenerational trauma transmission
- Participants will be able to define trauma and how posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) affects their nervous systems, emotions, and well-being.
- Participants will be able to define racial trauma and identify the primary symptomatology in themselves and their children.
- Participants will be better able to address race and racism, as well as colorism and anti-black racism with their families and loved ones.
CONFERENCE RECORDING HIGHLIGHTS
- CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION with 3.0 instructional hours & successful completion of a short quiz.
- RESOURCES: Access to several mental health and parenting resources.
- SUPPORT: Access to the institute should any questions arise.
WHO IS THIS COURSE FOR:
This presentation is appropriate for parents, educators, child care professionals, caregivers, and mental health professionals.
Did you know you can take ANY of the courses in our comprehensive library for a single, affordable fee?
For only $18.99/month you can access *any* of our pre-recorded courses.
You can get a 7-day free trial to check it out.
All courses offered by ICP are for individual use only. Using them for corporate/group training, or shared purposes are a violation of copyright law. Furthermore, all products/services provided by the Institute of Child Psychology, along with all workshop materials, are strictly for educational purposes only and cannot be categorized as psychological or mental health services.
***This workshop is not owned by ICP and therefore may be removed by discretion of the contractor at any time, with 90 day notice.