Theraplay® is a short-term, structured therapy which focuses on enhancing attachments. It promotes self-esteem, language skills, behavioural skills, social skills as well as enhances relationships between significant others.
Theraplay can be used with a single child, an entire family or with groups of children.
Professionals around the world have been trained in Theraplay and are using Theraplay in a wide variety of settings and populations, including: Attachment therapy for foster/adopted children, Therapy for trauma and abuse victims, Therapy for children with behavioural and developmental problems, and Group settings such as schools and residential treatment facilities.
The Marschak Interaction Method Assessment (MIM) is a structured technique for observing and assessing the relationship between two individuals, for example, biological parent and child, foster or adoptive parent and child, supportive caregiver and child. It consists of a series of simple tasks designed to elicit a range of behaviours in four dimensions.
• Understanding of the history and theory of Theraplay®
• Increased knowledge on the interactional basis of parent-infant attachment and self-esteem
• Skill development in the differentiation and use of the four Theraplay® dimensions
• Knowledge of how Theraplay® is used to meet the needs of children with behaviour problems, foster and adopted children, autistic children, adolescents, and traumatized children
• Knowledge of how parents are guided to empathically observe and participate in Theraplay® sessions aimed at fostering better parent-child attachment
• Knowledge of how to administer the MIM including methods of recording non-verbal and verbal behaviours, making inferences and formulating hypotheses
• Knowledge of how an MIM report is organized
• Knowledge of how a feedback session is conducted
• Knowledge of how the MIM is used as a guideline for planning treatment.
March 1-22, 2024 (Fridays)
12:00pm-4:00pm EST (plus weekly self-paced 3 hour pre-recorded webinars)
*Note: You must attend live, ensure that the time will work for viewing within your own timezone
VENUE: Online, participants must tune in live.
*Participants must be residents of Canada
TARGET AUDIENCE: This 4 day training is open to qualified, licensed, certified or registered professionals in a field that prepares them to work with children and families (a degree or diploma must be acquired). Participants who have experience working with children and families, but who have not yet completed their professional degree (for example: those with diplomas in Early Childhood Education or in Child and Youth Work) can be admitted into Theraplay training. Training in available only to residents of Canada.
ARE CONTINUING EDUCATION CREDITS PROVIDED: Yes. This training counts towards 32 CEU’s
WHAT IS PROVIDED: Course handouts are included (in PDF format, sent electronically). Certificates of Attendance will be given on last day of workshop. All course material is provided by the Theraplay Canada Administration team.
WHAT IS NOT PROVIDED: Theraplay Text books are an additional cost, but required for the course and can be purchased on amazon.com or amazon.ca (Theraplay: Helping Parents and Children Build Better Relationships Through Attachment-Based Play). It is the participant’s responsibility to purchase.
CANCELLATIONS/REFUNDS: No refunds will be provided after January 1, 2024.
Refunds minus $100 administration fee may be granted to participants within a 24 hour time stamp of original purchase only up to January 1, 2024. If registration after January 1, 2024 occurs then all sales are final. No refunds will be given.