Participants will learn different play therapy activities to help clients recognize, understand, label, appropriately express, and regulate anxiety. A majority of the workshop will be spent learning about different hands-on and virtual play therapy activities through demonstration and active participation. We will also discuss what populations and diagnoses the activities work best.
- Demonstrate how to conduct at least 5 therapeutic activities to use in play therapy that help tame anxiety.
- Explain the importance of helping clients recognize, understand, label, express, and regulate their anxiety in play therapy.
- Identify the strengths and weaknesses of at least 5 therapeutic activities to help kids tame anxiety.
In order for you to PLAY along during the workshop, it will be helpful (but not necessary to have all!) for you to have these items available if possible:
Access to a printer
Markers, crayons, coloured pencils
One pipe cleaner
A jar (glass or plastic) with a lid
Glitter glue (Elmer’s works great!)
Access to warm water
- CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION with 1.0 instructional hours endorsed by the Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association.
- RESOURCES: Access to several mental health and parenting resources
- SUPPORT: Access to the instructors who teach each course should any questions arise.
- SELF-PACED STUDY: No timeline for completion of the course.
This course is appropriate for mental health professionals to the field of play therapy.
This is a certified course through the Association for Play Therapy (APT) and the Institute of Child Psychology is an approved provider with APT; only registrants who are mental health professionals or graduate students in the mental health field should be taking this course.
APT Only accepts professionals in the field of mental health as eligible to continue with their certification towards becoming a play therapist. It is the participants responsibility to ensure they are eligible: https://a4pt.site-ym.com/page/
Association for Play Therapy: 1.0 non-contact hours (APT Provider #21-634)
APT recognizes this course as meeting the requirements for contact training hours towards* their national certification process to become a Registered Play Therapist
All courses offered by ICP are for individual use only. Using them for corporate/group training, or shared purposes are a violation of copyright law. Furthermore, all products/services provided by the Institute of Child Psychology, along with all workshop materials, are strictly for educational purposes only and cannot be categorized as psychological or mental health services.